[Tagging] Aerodrome classification

Joseph Eisenberg joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com
Mon May 20 14:30:30 UTC 2019

> "number, size and surface of runways."

This information can already be mapped, but it isn't very helpful for
a person search for "closest airports to me" in an application.

There are a number of large aerodromes that do not have public
flights. Military airfields are a common example, but there are also
cargo-only airports, and airports that have been built, but lack
commercial service.

The airport in Everett, Washington just recently started commercial
passenger flights, but before it was used by Boeing to ship out their
new planes for years.

Their is a large airport in Palmdale, California which was built by
the organization that manages LAX, intended to server Los Angeles, but
it has not had any scheduled flights for over 10 years:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palmdale_Regional_Airport

It seem to me that the presence of public passenger flights is the
basic idea of the word "airport" to the general public (pilots certain
have different ideas, but they have their own specialized databases),
and it would be good if we could tag this in a consistent way.

For use by pilots, and for people considering charter flights, it may
be useful to make a distinction between "general aviation" airports
that have services like hangars, fuel, staff etc, versus an airstrip
in a farmer's field which lacks any services or facilities other than
an unpaved runway.