[Tagging] Runway area mapping?

Graeme Fitzpatrick graemefitz1 at gmail.com
Tue May 21 02:56:50 UTC 2019

On Tue, 21 May 2019 at 11:36, Joseph Eisenberg <joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com>
wrote:

> The current wiki page suggests using "aeroway:area=runway" to map the
> outline of the runway, and mapping the "aeroway=runway" as a line
> along the center of the runway.
>
> Does everyone agree that aeroway:area is the right way to map runway
> areas, if this is considered necessary?
>
> And do we agree that runways should be mapped as linear ways, like
> highways and railways, not only as an area?

I must admit that I only ever map the runway as a way, not an area.

On the subject, I've just had a look at a few, & I see that there's now an
option (in iD at least) for "Runway number", which then apparently appears
as ref=.

I've always put the runway number "14/32" in as the name=, & it's always
seemed to work OK.

Is there any real preference?

Thanks

Graeme