[Tagging] Opening hours syntax for non Gregorian calendar

Rory McCann rory at technomancy.org
Wed May 22 08:14:15 UTC 2019

On 17/05/2019 21:13, Paul Allen wrote:
> I think that you would have to come up with something like
> opening_house:islamic or something like that to segregate the two
> systems.
There are some downsides to using a new `opening_hours:islamic` key:

  * What happens if there's an `opening_hours=*` and
`opening_hours:islamic=*` tag on the same object? And what if they are
correct?
  * Many OSM data consumers look at the `opening_hours` tag, and they
aren't aware of this new key.

I don't know much about the islamic calendar. Could you give some
examples of what data you'd like to enter? Most "opening hours" don't
need to include years, so is that a problem? You could just use the
islamic calendar month names if needed.

So I suggest just adding the opening hours that would make sense for a
local into the `opening_hours` tag, and follow the spirit of the
opening_hours syntax.

--
R/A/McC