[Tagging] Navaid relation?

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Wed May 22 10:42:45 UTC 2019

22 May 2019, 09:53 by f at zz.de:

> Hi Marc,
>
> On Tue, May 21, 2019 at 10:38:23PM +0000, marc marc wrote:
>
>> > What is the expectation to get navigated to when selecting a park?
>>
>> there is no such thing as "a single point that makes everyone agree"
>>

> Yes there is - there has to be an explicit location you will ne navigated
> to for a certain feature.

This is blatantly untrue. Depending on location you will prefer to be routed
to different entrances and it is not considering different modes of transport.

>> > Doesnt work - You are navigating by car but you only have a footway up
>> > to hour house - Still the house is near road b - thus you get navigated
>> > to the wrong street.
>>
>> that's a bug/a feature needed in the routing, all info exist in osm
>> to find the path to reatch to the house, instead of leaving you at
>> a closer location but whose routing to the house is unknown
>>

> Nope - there isnt enough information. Its all just implicit and works
> for 95% of the cases. It breaks horrible in others and we fake
> geometries to fix it, blame the application, invent tags to guide the
> nav/routing which only fit half of the object and only half of the
> apps support. In all cases the user is in trouble.

Please give a specific example.

> No - i expect to select a feature and when there are multiple entrances
> i expect the Nav to ask me. Currently it doesnt - no application does.
> They simply guide me to some arbitrarily choosen point calculated
> from some geomtry which fits some nearest point matching algorithm. And
> there is NO way to fix this.

If navigation is simply doing nearest road point on matching then it requires change to both
- properly use footway data
- use your proposed relation

I see no reason for preferring second solution.