[Tagging] iD adding highway=footway to all railway/public_transport=platform ways and relations

Nick Bolten nbolten at gmail.com
Thu May 23 17:10:17 UTC 2019

The only coherent rule I can surmise based on how footways are mapped "in
the wild" is that it's an outdoor linear feature and it's primarily
intended for pedestrians. Linear transit platforms people walk to, from,
and on seem to fit the other uses of the tag, hence my questions.

The rendering example posted earlier is a good example where it seems an
awful lot like a footway and a platform at the same time. Perhaps the
platform should be a polygon and the path to and on it a footway?