[Tagging] solving iD conflict

Kevin Kenny kevin.b.kenny at gmail.com
Fri May 24 11:32:12 UTC 2019

On 5/24/19 6:04 AM, Christoph Hormann wrote:
> This is evidently something that is becoming more and more important as
> OSM grows as a project and it becomes increasingly difficult for a
> single person to be knowledgable about every aspect of it.

In the din of voices here, how does one assess who is most qualified to
make such decisions? I've asked questions here many times. I never have
received useful answers, because there is no consensus about anything
that I've asked about. In some cases the discussion has affected my
decision, but in those cases the ultimate decision was 'go and map
something else, because trying to map this feature at all is a political
nightmare.' The result is that the feature goes unmapped, which is no
great loss - arguably no loss at all since I simply spend the time on
mapping something else. I continue listening carefully to this mailing
list, toping to glean useful information from it. IT SIMPLY NEVER HAPPENS.

The stakes are clearly higher when the decision must be made for a
common tool that the broader community uses, but why believe that the
mailing list will be any more useful in that context? This mailing list
is simply not a useful source of information about current tagging
practice - it is many opinions about what should be, all presenting
themselves as if they're authoritative about what actually is. That's
fine, because we need to hash out what will be good practice moving
forward, but the list simply cannot serve the two purposes, because
distinguishing them goes against human nature.

As Frederik points out, we have no central authority. Are you arguing
that we must constitute one? Otherwise, you can simply argue that any
decision with which you disagree personally is the result of failing to
consult a 'sufficiently competent' authority. That will not silence the
din. Rather, it will make it personal - with people waving about their
university degrees; academic papers; past or present positions with GIS
companies, government mapping agencies, or universities; and other
credentials. The flawed _argumentum ad populum_ that we get from
techniques such as consulting taginfo or Overpass will be replaced with
an even worse _argumentum ad verecundiam._

In the absence of a central authority, tools such as taginfo are
actually the most reliable source. Yes, it's _argumentum ad populum_,
but truly, what else is there?

Beware of elevating, 'I disagree with this decision,' to, 'the people
who made this decision were irresponsible. If they had consulted a
competent authority, they would not have made it.' In this forum, it
risks being interpreted as an arrogant belief that you are the only
truly competent authority, unless you accompany it with a proposal for
constituting a governing body.

Also, be wary of micromanaging volunteer developers. Eventually, they
all respond with, 'People pay me to do that.'