[Tagging] Definition of Sport

Markus selfishseahorse at gmail.com
Fri May 24 16:00:15 UTC 2019

On Fri, 24 May 2019 at 17:21, Martin Koppenhoefer
<dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:

> what about shooting or chess? Chess clearly isn't a physical activity, while for shooting there may be discussion.

I play chess myself, but wouldn't call it sports.

> The council of Europe also cites snooker along with chess as sports [1], probably darts would fit well in this list too ;-)
>
> Are they all included because of "or obtaining results in competitions"?

Yeah, they seem to have a broader conception of "physical activity" than i do.

What about competitive binge drinking, it is a physical activity, may
be organized and aiming at expressing physical fitness.

Not sure this improves physical fitness and mental well-being. ;)

> Seriously, we do not need to define what "sport" is, we will be voting with our feet.
> All accepted values are here: https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/sport#values (plus what is missing)
> certainly frequent tags should be preferred over those on the hundreds of pages with tags of only 1 occurence

I'm not so sure about sport=model_car_racing (38 uses), but i can live
with most of the other frequently used values. :) I agree that a
definition doesn't seem to be necessary.

By the way, thanks to TagInfo, i've just learned about a new sport:

https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/sport=tambourin

I first thought it were a mistake. :)

Wishing you all a nice (and maybe sporty) weekend!

Regards

Markus