[Tagging] Definition of Sport

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Fri May 24 16:09:15 UTC 2019

24 May 2019, 17:20 by dieterdreist at gmail.com:

> Am Fr., 24. Mai 2019 um 15:55 Uhr schrieb Markus <> selfishseahorse at gmail.com <mailto:selfishseahorse at gmail.com>> >:
>
>> I personally like the definition by the European Sports Charter
>>  (article 2, paragraph 1a):
>>
>>     "Sport" means all forms of physical activity which, through casual
>>  or organised participation, aim at expressing or improving physical
>>  fitness and mental well-being, forming social relationships or
>>  obtaining results in competition at all levels.
>>

> what about shooting or chess? Chess clearly isn't a physical activity, while for shooting there may be discussion.
> The council of Europe also cites snooker along with chess as sports [1], probably darts would fit well in this list too ;-)
>
> Are they all included because of "or obtaining results in competitions"? What about competitive binge drinking, it is a physical activity, may be organized and aiming at expressing physical fitness.
> Seriously, we do not need to define what "sport" is, we will be voting with our feet.
> All accepted values are here: > https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/sport#values <https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/sport#values>>  (plus what is missing)
> certainly frequent tags should be preferred over those on the hundreds of pages with tags of only 1 occurence
>

> Cheers,
> Martin
>

> [1] > https://www.coe.int/en/web/compass/sports-for-all <https://www.coe.int/en/web/compass/sports-for-all>
> "people may say that exclusion and discrimination are not really big issues because people tend to choose sports that they are naturally good at. For example, tall people may play basketball and less energetic types may play snooker or chess. "

I made edit to OSM Wiki that intended to summarize what was covered in this discussion:

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Key:sport&diff=1854318&oldid=1772677 <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Key:sport&diff=1854318&oldid=1772677>

"There are many ways to define sport, some of them narrower than one de facto used in OSM.
For example any definition that limits "sport" to competitions or only psychical activity is not
fitting OSM use. This would exclude for example {{tag|sport|chess}} or {{tag|sport|climbing}}
not done as part of competitions. See [taginfo](https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/sport#values <https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/sport#values>)
 for examples of actually used values and list above for documented ones"
+ link to discussion on mailing list