[Tagging] Non-orthogonal crossing=* tag proposals: crossing=marked/unmarked vs crossing:markings=yes/no

osm.tagging at thorsten.engler.id.au osm.tagging at thorsten.engler.id.au
Fri May 24 20:32:25 UTC 2019

From: Paul Allen <pla16021 at gmail.com>
Sent: Saturday, 25 May 2019 06:17
To: Tag discussion, strategy and related tools <tagging at openstreetmap.org>
Subject: Re: [Tagging] Non-orthogonal crossing=* tag proposals: crossing=marked/unmarked vs crossing:markings=yes/no

crossing=uncontrolled – there are road markings indicating this is a designated pedestrian crossing, but no traffic signals that explicitly tell pedestrians when they have to stop

Yes, but.  At least in the UK those road markings not only indicate a designated crossing but also

give the pedestiran right of way.  Once the pedestrian places a foot (or a wheel of a buggy or

wheelchair) on the crossing the motorist MUST stop.  If the pedestrian is not on the crossing

the motorist can blithely proceed.

Yes, I would assume that’s the same in most jurisdictions, designated pedestrian crossings give pedestrians priority.

In cases where the exact type of marking is important, that’s what the crossing_ref tag is for, which has to be interpreted under consideration of local legislation.

Yep.

That was how I interpreted it all until the Polish contingent threw a spanner in the works.  I'm

waiting for a response to see if it's a big spanner or a little spanner.

All other crossing=* values that are currently in use are either simply undefined in meaning, or, like the ones listed in the wiki (zebra, pelican, toucan, …) are shorthand for one of the 4 values above + implicit values for additional tags.

Depending on the answer from Poland, we may have to drastically revise that and explicitly

tag crossing types.  It depends if zebra stripes in Poland are only in conjunction with traffic signals

(cosmetic road markings) or if they can be independent of signals and have different meanings.

I think there is a miscommunication there. It’s common in many countries that you have signal controlled crossing, and zebra strips as road markings. That does NOT imply that pedestrians can just walk across at any time and have priority. As long as the traffic lights are present, they take priority, and red means red.

I’m pretty sure it’s the same in Poland.