[Tagging] Filter bubbles in OSM

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Fri May 24 23:11:08 UTC 2019

Hi,

On 25.05.19 00:11, Florian Lohoff wrote:
> Its just a matter of
> defining whom to exclude not if.

True.

My son attends a school that favours being inclusive, and this means
that there's one student in the class who has a form of autism that lets
him often loudly protest against assignments, throw stuff on the ground
and leave the room in a huff. You'll find quite a few parents at this
school saying "well I'm all for inclusion but this is starting to impact
my child's education negatively..."

It's easy to rattle off a catalogue of behaviours we will all agree on
that they have no place here. Threats of violence, racist or sexist
abuse would get someone kicked out whether or not we have codified rules
or processes. These are extremely rare, though, and are certainly not
the problem people refer to when they say that the lists are not welcoming.

The problems that people often cite are softer in nature: The "culture"
was not "welcoming", they felt "attacked" or not treated respectfully
enough. These are much, much harder to codify, and I know quite a few
proponents of strict code-of-conduct rules who are against any soft
rules like that.

People have a right to be treated with respect, but that does not mean
that we need to extend US American style courtesy to everyone because US
Americans have the narrowest definition of what counts as respectful. We
want and need passionate debate about issues in this grassroots project;
if someone offers a very bad idea, then nobody benefits if people say
"this is a GREAT idea, I'd just like to suggest a small change" -
tearing the idea apart in public is totally ok and if people can't stand
that kind of (intellectual) heat then they cannot be part of that aspect
of the project in which such ideas are debated. There ought to be a safe
space for people, but there cannot be a safe space in which bad ideas
are allowed to live just because nobody dares to call them out.

Sometimes people attack the person presenting an idea, instead of
attacking the idea. This is something that we can work on and improve.
On the other hand, sometimes people feel attacked or "not welcomed" when
you tell them that their idea is not a good one, or that they have made
a mistake. If in this situation people are allowed to invoke some rule
that demands everyone be welcoming all the time, then we can probably
stop discussing anything right away, because the person with the
thinnest skin will be the last one left standing.

This, however, is leading us far off topic.

Bye
Frederik