[Tagging] Constructive communication medium (was:Filter bubbles in OSM)

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Sat May 25 17:11:39 UTC 2019

25 May 2019, 17:44 by f at zz.de:

> On Sat, May 25, 2019 at 02:28:45AM +0200, Tobias Zwick wrote:
>

>> 1. Thesis: Mailing lists (and to a lesser degree, classical forums) promote a culture of dissent.
>>

> I strongly disagree here. How can a technical form of communication
> make a "culture of dissent"?

Some forums, slack allow you to
add +1 to a comment in acceptable
nonspammy way without changingĀ
visibility of content [1]
As result with opinion that is shared
by 20 people and one opponent you may get:

On forum with upvotes enabled:

1 opposing reply
20 "xyz liked this post"

On mailing list:

1 opposing reply

For many second is much more frustrating
than the first one.
> From a sociological point i would assume that people on the mailinglist
> are by average 10 Years older than people on Slack or the Forum. Thats
> just a matter of history of technology.

That is probably also anĀ
important factor, there are likely also
other confounders.