[Tagging] Definition of Sport

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Sat May 25 19:24:07 UTC 2019

On Sat, 25 May 2019 at 19:59, Mateusz Konieczny <matkoniecz at tutanota.com>
wrote:

I thought about cases like

> (1)
>
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/169286212
> that are used solely for climbing not done as competitions

You're counting that as sport usage and I'm not disputing that.  But
climbing can also
be competitive.  So saying that you're not restricting sport=* to
competitive sports
so as not to exclude climbing, which can also be competitive, is not a
great example.
Yes, some people may only know of non-competitive climbing and think your
example
is fine.  But some will know of competitive climbing and wonder why you
chose that
example.

That said, I'm not sure that there is any sport (as you have currently
defined it) which is never
performed competitively.  Anything where there is a performance metric of
some sort can be
competitive: longer, harder, faster, more stylishly, whatever.  To bring it
back to the original
question, competitive juggling exists.

Even if competitions are rare, they may happen.  Or if competitions have
never happened in
a particular sporting activity, they could happen in the future.  Even if a
sport is never
performed competitively in one location, if it is performed competitively
at some other location then
it's still a sport even by the latest definition (I'm not complaining about
that logical conclusion).

I'm leaning towards the conclusion that it is better to just say that an
activity doesn't have to be
performed competitively to be considered a sport, but that's probably going
to open things up
too much.  It's a sport if it COULD be performed competitively?  Not much
better.  I'm not sure
we can lock this one down well enough to satisfy everyone.  It's an "I know
it when I see it" thing,
which goes against the principle of verifiability.

Maybe we just go with a sport being whatever one or more people says is a
sport, but we only
map it if there's a designated place to perform it.  Which brings back the
cycleway problem.

--
Paul