[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Tag:golf=cartpath

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Mon May 27 13:41:32 UTC 2019

On Mon, 27 May 2019 at 14:24, Joseph Eisenberg <joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com>
wrote:

The question in this proposal is if we need a tag specifically for
> golf cart paths on golf courses, rather than just using
> highway=service and highway=path with golf_cart=designated.

I don't see a golf cart path on a golf course as being a highway as most
people understand
the word.  This is OSM, and (like Humpty Dumpty) words can mean whatever we
want them
to mean, but that tends to lead to things getting mistagged when people
interpret words
with their normal meaning rather than the OSM meaning.

I am still unsure that golf cart paths on golf courses actually exist: my
(very) limited
understanding is that there are large areas of the course where carts can
travel with limited
exclusion zones (such as the greens).  I don't think there are (on most
courses) delineated
paths (there may be minor cases on any given course, but for the most part
it's an area with holes
in).

I may be very wrong on this, but for the most part it seems that it can be
inferred (assuming
an access tag on the course itself does not prohibit golf carts): you can
drive a golf cart
anywhere but the greens, bunkers and water hazards (greens are a "legal"
prohibition;
bunkers and water hazards a physical limitation).  If you've mapped those
then you've also
defined where the golf carts can go.  Hmmm, some areas of woodland and
maybe even
the rough could physically exclude golf carts, but it can probably be
inferred.

Now for an expert golfer to chip in (hah!) and tell me how I have it
completely wrong.

--
Paul