[Tagging] Telephone poles and lines?

Nita Rae Sanders cosmicrae at gmail.com
Mon May 27 14:28:44 UTC 2019

The few poles that have been mapped in my area (rural farming countryside)
are the large cross-country grid feeders (generally 100Kv and up) and a few
9.6 Kv distribution lines. Having said that, it is my impression that
80%-90% of the telephony circuits are buried cables with cable tap boxes
every 1/4-1/2 mile. The telco does use existing power poles for drop lines
(from a cable tap to a residence) and occasionally strings overhead cables.

Power poles (around here) have 4 designated (but invisible to the casual
onlooker) segments: The electrified segment at the top, a guard section (in
which no wires are connected), a telecommunications section, and a minimum
ground clearance segment. The exact measurement/height of each segment
varies based on the height of the pole and other factors.

Without trying to off topic, something which is attendance with a few power
poles is a telecommunications 'Remote Terminal' cluster. This is usually
2-4 vertical cabinets, one is a wire cabinet, and the others contain active
electronics to support telephony/data circuits in a location far from the
central office. In my case, the nearest such RT is 1 mile up the road, and
6 miles from the central office. It might be nice to map the locations of
the (obviously present) RT boxes.

Hope all this helps