[Tagging] Difference between barrier=embankment and man_made=embankment?

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Wed May 29 10:00:02 UTC 2019

Am Mi., 29. Mai 2019 um 02:20 Uhr schrieb Joseph Eisenberg <
joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com>:

> > "Double/symmetric embankment not connected to some other primary feature
> like a road... something we in German call a 'Wall' "
>
> It could be translated "rampart" - "a large wall built round a town,
> castle, etc. to protect it"?
> Or "earthwork": "a raised area of earth made, especially in the past,
> for defence against enemy attack"

+1

This is in use 200 times as barrier=earthworks
> (https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/barrier=earthworks)
>
> or historic=earthworks - 196 times
> (https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/historic=earthworks)
>
> or perhaps barrier=earth_bank - 184 times
> (https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/barrier=earth_bank)
>
> There are a few uses of barrier=rampart and military=rampart.

For ramparts most usage I found was historic=rampart (70)
https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/historic=rampart
which seems a suitable specific tag. There are some polygons but most are
linear ways.
I am going to start documenting this.

Cheers,
Martin