[Tagging] Irrigation: ditches, canals and drains

John Willis johnw at mac.com
Thu May 30 23:39:03 UTC 2019

> On May 30, 2019, at 11:53 PM, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Am Do., 30. Mai 2019 um 16:03 Uhr schrieb Mateusz Konieczny <matkoniecz at tutanota.com <mailto:matkoniecz at tutanota.com>>:
> 30 May 2019, 15:00 by fl.infosreseaux at gmail.com <mailto:fl.infosreseaux at gmail.com>:
> Why does aqueduct have to be above ground level?
> Maybe because one of main meanings of this word is
> "bridge to convey water over an obstacle, such as a ravine or valley"?
>

> the meaning of the term "aqueduct" is "leading water". Usually bridges are only constructed where they are needed,

yep.

I think this is truly a matter of what you are familiar with first.

Growing up in California, the only usage of the word aqueduct I ever heard referred to the Califorina aquaduct from San Francisco to Los Angeles, and it is a giant trench dug in the ground and (now) lined with concrete. it obviously has other features (pumps and pipes to go over the mountains), but the iconic images of it everyone thinks of is the water in the trench next to interstate. 5. califorina has 3 major aqueduct systems, all to move water to Southern California.

I learned about all the roman aqueducts and so forth much much later on TV, and they always showed the bridges and the tunnels to make some fountain work in Rome.

https://www.usgs.gov/special-topic/water-science-school/science/aqueducts-move-water-past-and-today?qt-science_center_objects=0#qt-science_center_objects <https://www.usgs.gov/special-topic/water-science-school/science/aqueducts-move-water-past-and-today?qt-science_center_objects=0#qt-science_center_objects>

here, the USGS shows a section of the Califorina aqueduct and a picture of an old Roman aqueduct (bridge), showing how some people equate any structure for conveying a supply of water from one area to another for the purpose of using / drinking the water as “an aqueduct”

This is teaching materials for classrooms.

the aqueducts I map in Japan usually have long at-grade open-air sections, pipe or open-top bridges, and lots of tunnels - similar to a "roman aqueduct” as I understand them.

Javbw