[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Pedestrian lane

Clifford Snow clifford at snowandsnow.us
Sat Nov 2 19:35:47 UTC 2019

Markus,
I like your proposal but think it needs to clarify the difference between a
pedestrian lane and a shoulder [1]. In the US, most (many?) states allow
pedestrians to walk on shoulders if there is no sidewalk/footway, with the
exception of motorways. How would a mapper know if this is a shoulder or a
pedestrian lane?

Tomorrow I'm attending a conference on pedestrian mapping and hope to get
the opportunity to discuss pedestrian lanes with our department of
transportation officials.

[1] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:shoulder

Best,
Clifford

On Fri, Nov 1, 2019 at 2:12 PM Markus <selfishseahorse at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> Following the recent discussion about pedestrian lanes (marked lanes
> on a roadway, designated for pedestrians), i've now written a proposal
> page for a new key pedestrian_lane=*:
>
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Pedestrian_lane
>
> Best regards
>
> Markus