[Tagging] Service road - Can it be a driveway if serving multiple houses?

Dave F davefoxfac63 at btinternet.com
Tue Nov 5 13:50:25 UTC 2019

Hi

In the UK, Amazon Logistics are adding useful data from their GPS'd
delivery vehicles. Mainly highway=service as the last part of their
journey to a destination.

However, one of their contributors removed service=driveway from a
highway=service road. In the changeset comments they said it was because
it served multiple residential properties.

https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/76576604#map=19/51.33398/-2.27945

 From memory, it wasn't signed as private, but it appears to be
unadopted by the local authority (There are no raised kerbed pavements,
drainage or lighting). I'm assuming it's shared ownership.

For indicative purposes only. (The image is ten years old):
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.3343975,-2.278377,3a,60y,185.39h,67.19t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s5I6ruGYQsgQv4cC0iLM6SA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Personally I see no problem tagging this as a driveway even if it's shared.

Thoughts?

DaveF