[Tagging] Service road - Can it be a driveway if serving multiple houses?

Philip Barnes phil at trigpoint.me.uk
Tue Nov 5 14:24:12 UTC 2019

Sections of shared, non-public service road, are certainly a common feature of modern housing developments.

I have considered them to be private driveways.

Private does not require a sign, walk down any suburban street in Europe or North America and you will see hundreds of driveways, without signs or gates and nobody will assume there is a public right of way there.

Phil (trigpoint)

On Tuesday, 5 November 2019, Jez Nicholson wrote:
> Personally, I would only call the short bits of tarmac that spur off that
> service road as 'driveways' because they each go to a single house. I'm
> sure that there are examples of shared driveways in the UK but I would
> consider them rare.
>
> On Tue, Nov 5, 2019 at 1:52 PM Dave F via Tagging <tagging at openstreetmap.org>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > In the UK, Amazon Logistics are adding useful data from their GPS'd
> > delivery vehicles. Mainly highway=service as the last part of their
> > journey to a destination.
> >
> > However, one of their contributors removed service=driveway from a
> > highway=service road. In the changeset comments they said it was because
> > it served multiple residential properties.
> >
> > https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/76576604#map=19/51.33398/-2.27945
> >
> >  From memory, it wasn't signed as private, but it appears to be
> > unadopted by the local authority (There are no raised kerbed pavements,
> > drainage or lighting). I'm assuming it's shared ownership.
> >
> > For indicative purposes only. (The image is ten years old):
> >
> > https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.3343975,-2.278377,3a,60y,185.39h,67.19t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s5I6ruGYQsgQv4cC0iLM6SA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
> >
> > Personally I see no problem tagging this as a driveway even if it's shared.
> >
> > Thoughts?
> >
> > DaveF

Sent from my Sailfish device