[Tagging] Service road - Can it be a driveway if serving multiple houses?

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Wed Nov 6 18:04:45 UTC 2019

Dave F via Tagging <tagging at openstreetmap.org> writes:

> In the UK, Amazon Logistics are adding useful data from their GPS'd
> delivery vehicles. Mainly highway=service as the last part of their
> journey to a destination.
>
> However, one of their contributors removed service=driveway from a
> highway=service road. In the changeset comments they said it was
> because it served multiple residential properties.
>
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/76576604#map=19/51.33398/-2.27945

I think a shared driveway is still a driveway.   That's why we call it
"shared dirveway".  The difference at some point between "shared
driveway" and "road in a subdivision" is perhaps in terms of the number
of houses, but in Massachusetts is very much about the land ownership
and the road being its own lot.

As for "signed as private", around me it is fairly unusual for
residential driveways, shared or not, to be signed "private" or "no
trespassing".  I'd guess 1 in 100, and maybe 1 in 20 of very long ones.
It's obvious to those who are paying attention what is a road and what
is a driveway, usually because width makes it clear, plus the lack of
road sign.  So I think mapping as access=private is appropriate even if
not signed, because on a driveway on private property the public does
not have a right of access, even if they aren't "trespassing after
notice".

If other people had tagged in driveway, and amazon removed it as part
of a large-scale paid edit, I think that's totally not ok.   If they are
just declining to add drvieway tags while putting in ways, that's fine.
I see large-scale paid edits as part way to mechanical edits, and think
they have to be more deferential than normal mappers.