[Tagging] Traffic Signs (was: Re: Is there a good way to indicate "pushing bicycle not allowed here"?)

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 7 13:01:47 UTC 2019

On 07/11/2019 10:26, marc marc wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Le 06.11.19 à 19:55, Mark Wagner a écrit :
>> There are places like federal Wilderness Areas in the United States
>> where possession of a bicycle is forbidden
> can you share the a picture of this traffic sign ?

As an aside, it's worth mentioning that the idea that you can uniquely
identify a type of access by the traffic sign for it is something that
isn't universal outside continental Europe.  For example, in the case
that Richard referred to earlier in England and Wales where a local
council has an interpretation of the legal rules on public footpaths,
you won't see a unique sign that identifies "you can't cycle here".  You
will usually see signage of the legal "public footpath" status (but not
always, and what there is varies around the country) and you also do
have paths around the country with that legal status where it is
positively encouraged to ride a bike.

Essentially, there may be a sign, but you can't infer that cycling is
prohibited there, you can only infer that you can't assume that it is
legal.

My experience of the US is much less, but what I would say is that
signage there is more likely to be just text, and that text may be
complicated.  Parking signs are an example of this (and a bit of a trope
there - see e.g.
http://www.mikeontraffic.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/parking_regs.gif ).

Best Regards,

Andy