[Tagging] Traffic Signs "pushing bicycle not allowed here"

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 7 13:54:08 UTC 2019

On 07/11/2019 13:39, marc marc wrote:
> Le 07.11.19 à 14:01, Andy Townsend a écrit :
>> you won't see a unique sign that identifies "you can't cycle here"
> an good practice rule is "don't map the legislation", isn't it ??

If you can infer defaults from legislation, sure, but as has previously
been said you explicitly can't do that here.

> no sign ? thus no tag on the way

Er, no.  As I was trying to say, you can't rely on (official) traffic
signs  everywhere in the world.  Sometimes you need to infer access
rules.  If I see a locked gate and a picture of a rottweiler, I'll map
the driveway behind it as "access=private". You may disagree, but I'll
let you deal with the rottweiler.

> at most a default value in the wiki or on the boundary.

That may be technically correct in some cases, but isn't always a good
idea.  To take an example I recently mapped, strictly speaking the
access tags on https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/263486696 really apply
to https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/738985023 (the full extent of which
remains unmapped), but having access tags on a surrounding area isn't
where any data consumer is going to expect to find them.  They do of
course apply to the track (so what is mapped is not wrong - just not
complete).

Best Regards,

Andy