[Tagging] Traffic Signs (was: Re: Is there a good way to indicate "pushing bicycle not allowed here"?)

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Fri Nov 8 16:22:53 UTC 2019

On Thu, Nov 7, 2019 at 7:02 AM Andy Townsend <ajt1047 at gmail.com> wrote:

> My experience of the US is much less, but what I would say is that
> signage there is more likely to be just text, and that text may be
> complicated.  Parking signs are an example of this (and a bit of a trope
> there - see e.g.
> http://www.mikeontraffic.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/parking_regs.gif
> ).

In the US, the situation is improving.  Restriction signs are mostly all
pictographs, so word legends are going away as signs hit the end of their
functional life.

The default per FHWA is that a way is open to all modes of travel except
when otherwise posted, be it a cycleway to a freeway and everything in
between.  In practice, some states actually subscribe to this (the west
coast states operate this way in terms of access), but others have weird
rules you just have to know and don't appear anywhere except in the state
laws (getting more rare but still happens; like in Oklahoma where
pedestrians are bicycles are prohibited due to a minimum posted speed
limit, but you have no way of knowing there's a minimum speed limit until
you've been on the road for some time...).