[Tagging] How to tag Seveso sites ?

Jan Michel jan at mueschelsoft.de
Sun Nov 10 09:53:05 UTC 2019

On 08.11.19 12:11, Andy Townsend wrote:
> The local regulations in the UK for that are known as COMAH (see  > https://www.hse.gov.uk/comah/ ).

This seems like there are varying definitions in different countries,
but all aim at basically the same thing - potential hazards to the
environment. How about this scheme?

hazard_class = comah:XYZ
hazard_class = seveso:XYZ

It establishes a common top-level tag and country specific / system
specific values. This is analogous to e.g. zone:traffic and
zone:maxspeed used on roads. The 'XYZ' values depend on the
classification given by the respective scheme.

We could think about adding the country code to the key (like
hazard_class:US, hazard_class=UK) to separate countries from each other,
but this doesn't seem necessary.

I wouldn't recommend to add the scheme to the key (as in
hazard_class:soveso), because this tends to create quite messy tags that
are difficult to use.