[Tagging] shop=ice_cream vs amenity=ice_cream and OSM Wiki vs tagging

Philip Barnes phil at trigpoint.me.uk
Sun Nov 10 15:29:28 UTC 2019

On Sun, 2019-11-10 at 15:56 +0100, Markus wrote:
> Strangely enough, the page
>
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:shop%3Dice_cream
>
> says that shop=ice_cream is "for places selling ice cream to take
> home", but shows an image of an ice cream parlour.
>
> Are there really shops that only or mainly sell packaged ice cream
> for
> taking home?
>
> Otherwise, it seems to make sense to deprecate shop=ice_cream in
> favour of the more used amenity=ice_cream.

I have never come across somewhere only selling Ice-cream to take home.

As you say, it is either sold to eat now or to take home it is
alongside other frozen foods in more general food shops.

The only reason I can imagine for somewhere only selling ice cream, not
to be consumed straight away is a manufacturer/wholesaler who sells to
smaller shops and those operating amenity=ice cream. Shop implies
retail so this wouldn't fit.

Phil (trigpoint)