[Tagging] shop=ice_cream vs amenity=ice_cream and OSM Wiki vs tagging

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 10 16:53:09 UTC 2019

On Sun, 10 Nov 2019 at 16:31, Philip Barnes <phil at trigpoint.me.uk> wrote:

> I was covering both take away kiosks and ice cream parlours in probably
> too few words.
>
> Take away is far more common in my experience.

I've never encountered an ice cream parlour in real life, but I've seen
them in US TV shows.
So there's a case for amenity=ice_cream where the product is consumed on
the premises.

I've encountered ice cream kiosks and static ice cream vans in real life.
So there's a case
for shop=ice_cream where the product is not consumed on the premises but is
consumed
a distance (usually a short distance) from the shop.  You generally don't
buy an ice cream
cone to take home and put it in the freezer.

I've never encountered a shop selling only ice cream with the intention is
that most
customers would take the product home.  Ice cream sections in supermarkets,
yes.
Dedicated ice cream shop for taking the product home, no.  But I wouldn't
guarantee there
isn't such a place somewhere in the world.  Even so, it would just be
shop=ice_cream.

--
Paul