[Tagging] shop=ice_cream vs amenity=ice_cream and OSM Wiki vs tagging

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Sun Nov 10 23:13:28 UTC 2019

sent from a phone

> On 10. Nov 2019, at 15:57, Markus <selfishseahorse at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Are there really shops that only or mainly sell packaged ice cream for
> taking home?

it doesn’t say anything about “packaged” and I would rather expect an ice cream shop not to sell packaged ice cream. Ice cream (in Italy) is seen as part of “sweet bakery” (pasticceria, Konditorei in German), and like you can buy a “Torte” to take it home in a Konditorei, or often may be able to eat it on the premises, you can do the same with ice cream. And as you can buy a frozen “Torte” in a supermarket you can also buy ice cream there, with the exact same implications on price, quality and kind of production.

The difference I would see with these two tags: a shop does IMHO imply a permanent structure (building), while amenity=ice cream is not necessarily a business selling out of a building, it could also be just a booth. For ice cream parlors with table service I would suggest to always use amenity=cafe with cuisine=ice_cream , because it removes the ambiguity of amenity=ice_cream

Cheers Martin