[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Pedestrian lane

Nick Bolten nbolten at gmail.com
Tue Nov 12 22:53:26 UTC 2019

You make a very good point! A road can have a pedestrian lane, shoulder,
both, or neither, so it wouldn't make any sense for a pedestrian lane to be
a type of shoulder. The widths do vary quite a bit as well, regionally.

> You mean a situation like this?:

> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/File:Sidewalk_and_crossing.svg

One very similar to that, yes! I think I normally wouldn't add
sidewalk=both to any length of the highway=residential. Is that a typical
thing to do? I would assume that meant the highway=residential street had
its own short piece of sidewalk, when it actually doesn't.

The challenge I'm describing is in reliably associating the crosswalk with
the pedestrian paths. After all, the crosswalk is a node on a different
street way. I know that I could do it 99.x% of the time, but it will
require using some graph traversal approaches that most people aren't
familiar with. Plus, those cases where I couldn't reliably determine it
could be very important. I suspect this is one of the reasons I haven't
found anyone using these data in concert (sidewalk=both + highway=crossing)
to do pedestrian routing.

Mapping for a router isn't the end-all-be-all of this kind of data, of
course, but it is one thing that would be hard to do with this tagging
schema. I'd be interested to know if there are other data consumer plans
for the data, since use does dictate what the schema looks like. Making
streets be ways was a conscious choice informed by routing, for example!

> I would simply connect the sidewalk way with the road where the
sidewalk ends (and map a barrier=kerb + kerb=* node) and add
pedestrian_lane=* to the road starting from where the pedestrian lane
begins.

So there would be a segment of footway=sidewalk that is not actually on a
sidewalk? I've been unsure about what to do in similar situations, like how
to connect footways to roads without implying there's literally a footway
on top of the road. Probably worth its own, separate discussion (it was
discussed previously, but without conclusion), so I won't elaborate.

> There is a pedestrian lane along the the south-eastern part of the road
Reichenbachstrasse. On the opposite side there are public steps as well as
many (currently unmapped) driveways and private footpaths. Mapping the
pedestrian lane as a separate way would either make it disconnected from
the steps, driveways and footpaths on the opposite side of the road or you
would need to add many highway=footway connections from the pedestrian lane
to the steps, driveways and footpaths, which would make the map very
confusing.

> Therefore i strongly advise against mapping pedestrian lanes as separate
ways.

> By the way, the same problem occurs with sidewalks mapped as separate
ways.

Yes, it's a trade-off: the actual pedestrian path's primary connections and
attributes vs. its association with the street. Neither are actually
perfect options, which is why I'm suggesting the possibility of redundant
tagging. Ideally, we'd come up with a universal strategy for relating these
ways together, but I don't want to monopolize this proposal!

> I'm not a programmer and therefore don't have concrete plans to use this
data, but i imagine (and hope) that pedestrian routers could use this data
to prioritise roads with pedestrian lanes and to tell blind people on which
side of the road they should walk.

Maybe it would be helpful to set up a meeting with some organizations that
serve the visually impaired along with programmers that build routing
software. We (Taskar Center) might be able to help with that sort of
meeting, and it would be even better to have organizations from different
cultures and geographies involved as well. As-is, I think the challenge of
reliably associating paths with crosswalks is a big one for mapping for
routing for the blind.

> Thanks. The content of this page seems to be identical to this PDF
document by the FHWA i mentioned in some of my earlier messages:

Oh, you're right! Sorry I missed that!

Thanks again for raising this tagging question and proposal!

Best,

Nick