[Tagging] Long term detour routes ?(construction, disaster)

Kevin Kenny kevin.b.kenny at gmail.com
Sun Nov 24 20:51:47 UTC 2019

On Sun, Nov 24, 2019 at 2:08 PM marc marc <marc_marc_irc at hotmail.com> wrote:

> if the itinerary is modified for years, I would modify the main
> relation, it is not an alternative route

I have numbered highways close to me that have been impassable to
motor vehicles since the storms of 2011. Nevertheless, the damaged
roads are still signed with the route numbers, and the roads where
traffic is actually directed are signed "DETOUR".

For a few that are open to pedestrians, I've tagged them
`highway=footway` but left them as members of the respective route
relations.

There are also long-term motorway detours in my part of the world that
are signed in advance. If it becomes necessary to close the main
highway, the temporary signs will direct motorists onto "detour route
A" or the "red detour" or however the state's specific signage
identifies the route. I don't have any that are immediately local to
me; where they exist, the mappers appear to have handled them by
creating route relations like `network=US:PA:Detour ref=A` and adding
the ways that make up the detour.

--
73 de ke9tv/2, Kevin