[Tagging] Strange tags

Craig Wallace craigw84+osm at gmail.com
Tue Oct 1 10:51:51 UTC 2019

On 2019-09-30 12:38, Paul Allen wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Sep 2019 at 02:41, Kevin Kenny <kevin.b.kenny at gmail.com
> <mailto:kevin.b.kenny at gmail.com>> wrote:
>

>     Given that the lists at this point are arbitrary,
>

> That was the conclusion I came to after a more detailed reading of the
> wikipedia
> page.  Until a couple of days ago I'd only heard of Munros and thought
> that was
> a semi-official designation.  I now realize these things are arbitrary
> lists and
> that you or I could come up with a list of Kevins or Pauls.  Even if
> no more
> lists are ever created, there are too many to sensibly add kevins=yes and
> pauls=yes to various peaks scattered around the world.

Yes, Munros are a somewhat arbitrary list. There is no specific
definition of prominence, and what counts as a separate mountain. There
is also a list of "Munro Tops" for the minor summits.

But the official Munro list is now maintained by the Scottish
Mountaineering Club. And the list has been around for over 120 years,
with hundreds of books, websites and apps published about them, and even
a TV show. It is rather different to you just making up a list of summits.

Though maybe there are issues with some of the more obscure hill lists,
which ones are worth adding to OSM. And possible copyright issues. If
someone makes up a list to try and sell a book, is that list copyright,
and can it be added to OSM?

Craig