[Tagging] New tag proposal: 'addr=milestone'

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Wed Oct 2 13:55:59 UTC 2019

Am Mi., 2. Okt. 2019 um 13:33 Uhr schrieb Paul Allen <pla16021 at gmail.com>:

> NO.  NO, NO, NO, NO, NO.  That's how we end up with bad tags.  Like
> highway=milestone.
> Outside of OSM, a milestone is a stone with a distance in miles marked
> upon it.  Outside
> of OSM, this is a milestone:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Milestone@Penrhosgarnedd_2.jpg

It's made of stone and the distances are in miles.

this is also a milestone in OSM: historic=milestone
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:historic%3Dmilestone

FWIW, in German these things are called "Meilenstein" (=milestone),
although we do not measure in miles (anymore) and regardless of the units
used on the stone. While there are also "Kilometerstein" (kilometerstone)
and "Stationszeichen" (road marker), and "Meilensäule" (mile-column), and
"Stundenstein", "Distanzsäule" (distance column), "Ganzmeilenobelisk"
(whole mile obelisk), etc.etc.. The typical milestones in Germany can be
further classified as Roman Milestone, Prussian Milestone, Berlin
Milestone, Milestones of the various smaller German (ex-)countries

Here's a summary page (in German):
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distanzstein

I am not sure we would want main tags for all these, would we?
I agree a tag like "distance marker" would have been more neutral, but I
have never had problems with calling something a "milestone" which actually
uses kilometers as units, or which wasn't made out of stone.

Cheers,
Martin