[Tagging] Tagging meadow orchards

Markus selfishseahorse at gmail.com
Fri Oct 4 19:58:38 UTC 2019

On Fri, 4 Oct 2019 at 20:43, Tom Pfeifer <t.pfeifer at computer.org> wrote:

> On 04.10.2019 19:10, Markus wrote:
> > While orchard=meadow_orchard is the most used way of tagging a meadow orchard (2 748 uses), there
> > are also 668 uses of the other subtag meadow=meadow_orchard. That means that people don't agree that
> > the orchard is more important than the meadow.
>
> Apparently there is a semantic difference. When someone counts 3 apple trees on a hectare, it is
> more a meadow. If there are 35 varieties of old sorts in the backyard, it is more an orchard, and
> the farmer needs the small mower to cut the grass.
>
> Thus the subtagging allows to preserve the subtle differences, while a new catch-all high-level tag
> doesn't. Subtle, from Latin subtilis ‘fine, delicate.’ ;-)

I agree that there such differentiation in tagging would make sense in
these extreme cases and i hope that mappers had this in mind and
didn't just randomly choose a subtag.

However, at many places it's impossible to say which land use is more
dominant (example: [1]). How to tag these? I were very surprised if
these places make only 1.4% (= share of landuse=meadow_orchard in all
three tags) of all meadow orchards.

[1]: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Gebenstorf_Blühende_Kirschbäume_1874.JPG