[Tagging] railway crossings with cycleways

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Fri Oct 4 23:58:07 UTC 2019

On Fri, Oct 4, 2019 at 7:58 AM Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com>
wrote:

> sent from a phone
>

> The wiki defines railway=level_crossing as a crossing of rails and a road,
> while railway=crossing is for a pedestrian crossing of railway tracks. What
> about cycleways?
>
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag%3Arailway%3Dlevel_crossing
>
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:railway%3Dcrossing

I'm strongly inclined to consider a cycleway a road, not a footway.  My
thinking on this is that the Federal Highway Administration has considered
bicycle facilities as a roadway since at least 2000 (the earliest copy of
the MUTCD I could find online), and some states like Oregon and California
since at least the 1970s.  Since the 1990s, I've also noticed cycleways
moving from more footway style crossings in the 1990s to, in more recent
years, crossings more or fully consistent with what you would expect on
roads that are open to motor vehicles.  I'd call this a level crossing
(sorry for potato quality, I had to take it from a panorama I took).
https://i.imgur.com/a5roXn1.png  Photo is looking southbound toward
https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/932401569