[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - (Phone)

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 6 19:55:38 UTC 2019

On Sun, 6 Oct 2019 at 20:35, Sven Geggus <lists at fuchsschwanzdomain.de>
wrote:

> I fully agree with this.  In opencampingmap POI database I currently do a
> replacement of the following tags during database import:
>
> booking -> reservation
> contact:phone -> phone
> contact:fax -> fax
> contact:website -> website
> contact:email -> email
>
> Would be nice to get rid of stuff like this.

Maybe, maybe not (I'm on the fence).  I doubt you'll manage to.  There are
too many
on both sides who insist that their way is the one true way.  It's possible
that your
kluge is actually the best way of handling things like this.  Data
consumers can translate
contact:phone to phone or phone to contact:phone or leave both untouched as
they
choose.  One problem with enforcing a single tag by mappers or preprocessing
data before putting it in the database is that if there are subtle
distinctions they are
forever lost.  You can always scramble an egg but you can't unscramble one.

--
Paul