[Tagging] Pedestrian and highway crossings of tramways

Vɑdɪm vadp.devl at gmail.com
Tue Oct 8 11:53:21 UTC 2019

One could find two different schemes are used for this across the OSM:

#1. The most popular way is to tag the nodes with railway=crossing
(https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:railway%3Dcrossing). There are
currently *35151* nodes like this around the world
https://overpass-turbo.eu/s/MVO.

It looks quite logic: a tram is an instance of a railway
(https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:railway). If someone needs to give
more specifics for such a crossing then some crossing=* tag probably is the
best bet.

#2. In certain areas we see the pedestrian crossings of tramways are tagged
with railway=tram_crossing. There are currently *1241* nodes like this
around the world https://overpass-turbo.eu/s/MVQ.

The #2 gives railway=tram + railway=tram_crossing which seems to be a
needless repetition -- a tautology. It's easy to deduce that a crossing on
the tramway track is a crossing of the tramway track, isn't it?

A rather similar dilemma exists with the highway crossings of tramways and
in a similar proportion:
#1. railway=tram + railway=level_crossing
#2. railway=tram + railway=tram_level_crossing

The OSM wiki says "Any tags you like"
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Any_tags_you_like.

But I think there is a problem when someone is meticulously removing on a
large scale the scheme #1 in favour of the scheme #2, like in
https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/73460862. During the last couple of
months two major cities in Russia: Moscow and St. Petersburg were
"converted" like this by a couple of editors.

As far as I could see the tags railway=tram_crossing and
railway=tram_level_crossing were never officially approved or discussed,
perhaps it's time for the proponents of this scheme to come along with their
reasoning.

--
Sent from: http://gis.19327.n8.nabble.com/Tagging-f5258744.html