[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - (Phone)

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Tue Oct 8 23:30:45 UTC 2019

sent from a phone

> On 8. Oct 2019, at 22:08, Colin Smale <colin.smale at xs4all.nl> wrote:
>
> So the subtlety you are referring to, is that some phone numbers routinely connect to a recording instead of a human.
>
> How about phone:recorded_message=* which would leave room for phone=* for a manned line, or recorded_message=yes, which would not?

if we wanted to tag specifically that a phone number is connected to a recording then a specific tag would make sense, it was just an example how phone can cover more cases than contact:phone, by being more generic in meaning. I didn’t imply we should make this distinction, or that it is significant (in terms of number of instances), it was an example to demonstrate that both tags aren’t completely identical, still I am ok with treating them as if they were (of course you can still add your phone:recorded_message tag or „answerphone” or whatever, and I would support it, as I see a significant enough difference between a number you call and someone real replying vs. a number that always gets answered automatically, to consider whether that merits a different tag).

Cheers Martin