[Tagging] railway crossings with cycleways

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Wed Oct 9 23:02:21 UTC 2019

On 10/10/19 01:07, Vɑdɪm wrote:
> On the other hand the Vienna Convention on Road Traffic mentions crossings
> for cyclists separately
> (https://www.unece.org/fileadmin/DAM/trans/conventn/Conv_road_traffic_EN.pdf):
>
>> 3. (a) The standing or parking of a vehicle on the carriageway shall be
>> prohibited:
>> (i) On pedestrian crossings, on *crossings for cyclists*, and on
>> level-crossings;

I note they have not considered a bridleway.

Most countries consider bicycles to be vehicles so they can enforce things like road rules on them (stopping for red lights, giving way etc).

Where a pedestrian shares a crossing with vehicles the simples tag is to use a single node as a level crossing and have both footway and road through that point.

As bicycles are considered to be vehicles in a legal sense then I would use the tag for a level crossing - even if there are no motor vehicle and even if shared with pedestrians.