[Tagging] Divided highways, and not so divided highways, one way or two

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Thu Oct 10 09:46:44 UTC 2019

Am Do., 10. Okt. 2019 um 08:40 Uhr schrieb Frederik Ramm <
frederik at remote.org>:

> The original mapper claims that using two separate oneway=yes ways is
> clearer and easier, as it does away with the need for turn restrictions
> at junctions.

this is an interesting aspect: why do we need turn restrictions, wouldn't
it be sufficient to tell the routing engine that there is a line that
cannot be crossed (and add a tag for interruptions to this on the junction
nodes where you can cross), and we could save a lot of turn restriction
relations which would be already implied?

I recall this was suggested many years ago, but for some reason it did not
fly. Maybe it is because it was too complicated to find out under which
circumstances (in which jurisdictions) white lines had which meaning? Maybe
we should not map the lines physically, but according to their legal
meaning, something like (shorter tags would be chosen): divider that cannot
be crossed (legally), divider that can be crossed legally, divider that can
be crossed but only for turning left not for u-turns, etc.

Cheers
Martin