[Tagging] Divided highways, and not so divided highways, one way or two

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Fri Oct 11 08:57:24 UTC 2019

11 Oct 2019, 10:50 by snusmumriken.mapper at runbox.com:

> On Fri, 2019-10-11 at 10:31 +0200, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:
>
>> Am Fr., 11. Okt. 2019 um 10:26 Uhr schrieb Snusmumriken <
>> snusmumriken.mapper at runbox.com>:
>> > A level strip of grass can be crossed by any car. With a big SUV
>> > you
>> > can cross curbs and so on. It's just a questions about how big your
>> > car
>> > is and the nature of the physical separation. But I don't think
>> > that
>> > OSM should be about that, but rather to be a map database to be
>> > able to
>> > provide a _legal_ route from A to B.
>>

>> what is not legal for you may be legal for someone else, for example
>> an emergency vehicle...
>>

> Yes, exactly, but as I wrote "You have to remember that some physical
> separation are just as easy to cross as a painted line."
>
> So a level strip of grass would be just as problematic for the
> emergency vehicle routing engine as a painted line.

Maybe it depends on location but in
Poland emergency vehicles routinely
ignore road paintings, one-way restrictions,
traffic lights, turn restrictions etc.
And I have never seen an emergency vehicle
crossing a grass median.

And it seem obvious that crossing a grass median
is trickier than crossing just a painted line.