[Tagging] Divided highways, and not so divided highways, one way or two

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Fri Oct 11 12:10:43 UTC 2019

On Fri, Oct 11, 2019 at 5:38 AM Snusmumriken <snusmumriken.mapper at runbox.com>
wrote:

> On Fri, 2019-10-11 at 11:21 +0200, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:
> >

> > Am Fr., 11. Okt. 2019 um 11:10 Uhr schrieb Snusmumriken <
> > snusmumriken.mapper at runbox.com>:
> > > It is up to the driver. I think he can ignore most of the traffic
> > > laws
> > > in the cause of getting as fast and as safe to where he needs to
> > > go. So
> > > he would use his own judgment and not so much what a routing engine
> > > tells him what he can do.
> >

> > you are missing the point: when the emergency vehicle gets the call,
> > the routing engine will suggest a route to approach the place of
> > action from where it is now, and depending on the osm data (and other
> > data like traffic congestion, unaccessible roads, etc.) it may
> > suggest different routes. Of course you can dismiss this in general
> > and say: "the driver will know where to go" or "will use his own
> > judgement", i.e. would not use OSM data at all, but this is not the
> > reality, in reality, OSM is used more and more in emergency
> > scenarios. There are companies dedicated to provide OSM-data-based
> > infrastructure for use by emergency services. I have seen it.
>

> Thanks for clearing that out. I still think it is better to map for the
> 99.99% of drivers who need to follow the law strictly. Special tagging
> for different emergency vehicles could be applied.
>
> Just to be clear, I'm not advocating that legal separation MUST lead to
> way separation. Just that a rule that wouldn't allow it would be a very
> bad rule. What makes most sense based upon the ground truth should be
> followed.

I think you're asking for a new tag, or adding turn restrictions, not
physical separation.  It's pretty well established that two lines is two
roadways, for which crossing over is only really going to happen where
another way is crossing between the two, not "you can't cross this line on
the pavement".  It's not like the rest of the world doesn't have this
problem, the US frequently has flush medians (
https://i.imgur.com/st58ROv.png) that indicate that you can't turn across
them or use it like a lane.  About the only time these don't get mapped as
a single way is if the median is of a geometry to deal with two closely
adjacent intersections that the only reason there's not another curbed
island there is to deal with vehicle offtracking.  Or more rarely because
it gets a fire station driveway over the median, but then the emergency gap
gets tagged as such.