[Tagging] Divided highways, and not so divided highways, one way or two

Peter Elderson pelderson at gmail.com
Fri Oct 11 19:57:18 UTC 2019

But where pedestrian crossing is not allowed at all, as in the case I described, two ways tagging does not give this routing problem.  These roads are not for pedestrians, there is no sidewalk, and if there is a separate footway or cycleway it is physically separated and cyclists/pedestrians will have to find the nearest crossing, as does the router.

NB I am not pleading one way or the other. I just think there are cases where two-way tagging is a plausible and an acceptible solution, even when there is no physical vertical barrier. Oneway tagging might suggest crossing possibilities where in fact crossing is not feasible, even dangerous. That would be worse for a router than the opposite, because it might put people in danger. Routing a detour is the lesser evil.

Mvg Peter Elderson