[Tagging] How to tag pedestrian lanes?

Markus selfishseahorse at gmail.com
Sun Oct 20 17:08:25 UTC 2019

On Sun, 20 Oct 2019 at 12:42, Tobias Zwick <osm at westnordost.de> wrote:

> How about:
>
> sidewalk=right
> sidewalk:right:kerb=no

I dislike using these tags for pedestrian lanes for the following
reasons (sorry if i repeat myself):

  * It doesn't make sense: if it doesn't have a kerb (or any other
physical barrier) it isn't a sidewalk.

  * Blind people are able to make out a sidewalk, but not a pedestrian lane.

  * It's misleading: Data users may not know the tag
sidewalk:right:kerb=no and thus may make wrong assumptions. For
example, a navigation application may guide a pedestrian along a route
with only pedestrian lanes instead of safer route with sidewalks.

  * pedestrian_lane=<left/right/both> is simpler for mappers and data users.

  * The distinction between physical separation or road markings is
already made for cycleways.

As sidewalk:right:kerb=no sidewalk:left:kerb=no has only been used 4
and 9 times respectively, almost no retagging were required.

> The most important thing is to tag whether there is a sidewalk or not. Regardless of whether it has a keen [kerb] or not.

I disagree: as already written, a sidewalk offers some safety for
pedestrians because of the kerb, while a pedestrian lane doesn't.

Regards

Markus