[Tagging] Feature Proposal - Voting - (phone)

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Sun Oct 20 23:56:52 UTC 2019

On 21/10/19 09:52, Joseph Eisenberg wrote:
> I'm in favor of deprecating contact:phone now (and the other
> contact:XXX duplicates later), but I don't know about your other
> proposed changes.
>
> For example, requiring the country code in all phone numbers would not
> be standard practice in Indonesia or the USA, since people in these
> countries very rarely make phone calls to other countries.

It is not 'standard practice' in Australia, New Zealand either.. but it is what is done in OSM to enable people from outside that country to call that number.
So in the Australian Tagging Guidelines that are instructions on how to tag phone numbers in OSM using +61.
See https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Australian_Tagging_Guidelines#Phone_Numbers

I would suggest similar guides for Indonesia and America.
Where a phone number in OSM does not start with a '+' that can mean it needs some attention, with some exceptions as a few phone numbers are not accessible from outside the particular country.