[Tagging] Feature Proposal - Voting - (phone)

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mon Oct 21 11:47:42 UTC 2019

Am Mo., 21. Okt. 2019 um 11:06 Uhr schrieb Valor Naram via Tagging <
tagging at openstreetmap.org>:

> Specifications I did not include:
> - Some mappers started to add emergency numbers to police stations,
> hospitals and fire stations. This is fine as long as local numbers are used
> and the number is really bound to the object. You should not map objects
> with universal emergency numbers (e.g. 911 / 110 / 112) for local objects
> since this could result in non emergency calls blocking real emergency
> calls when people try to reach a local police station, hospital or fire
> station with non emergency matters.

I believe this would be a helpful comment to discourage the practise of
adding generic emergency numbers, because it really happened.

- In NANPA countries such as the United States and Canada, businesses
> commonly use phonewords in posted phone numbers. phone=* should contain the
> numeric, fully resolved phone number for machine readability. Phonewords
> seen on signage etc. can go in phone:mnemonic=*, which could help search
> engines display the phone number more memorably. For example,
> "710-555-BEEF" would be tagged phone=+1-710-555-2333
> phone:mnemonic=+1-710-555-BEEF and "55-KLICK" within the 710 area code
> would be tagged phone=+1-710-555-5425 phone:mnemonic=+1-710-55-KLICK.

- "How to map" section
> - Italy does not omit the 0 in the international format like many
> countries do (the "0" default trunk prefix may be replaced by a "trunk
> selection code" in calls from within the country, but only for phone
> numbers that have this selection feature enabled: not all national phone
> numbers have a trunk selection code, and some ranges of "short" numbers,
> not starting with the default "0" trunk code, may also be called
> internationally; so this default "0" trunk code must still be used when
> calling from abroad). So the Milan number 02.724261 becomes phone=+39 02
> 724261 in OSM. A few other countries are doing the same and require dialing
> the national trunk selection code when calling them from abroad.

These 2 points could go into a country (or region)-specific paragraph. The
Italian example was added because of foreign mappers converting the local
numbers incorrectly (and to help editor authors for creating verification
rules). People assuming the zero must go away is an issue, I even
experienced with my former (foreign) hosting provider that the Italian
numbers I added for whois (in the international format) were converted and
the zeros removed (and I had to exchange more than one email with their
support to get it rectified).

> - The phone numbers in the United States and Canada consist of the
> following four elements: "+" (plus sign), the international country code
> (1), the area code and the local telephone number (written in two memorable
> blocks). A locally formatted US number may look like this: (303) 555-1765
> (without the international area code). The same phone number in E.164
> format would be: +1 303 555 1765. However, the NANP notation
> (+1-303-355-1765) is used as a quasi-standard based on the local notation
> (see Usage section).

also country specific section

Cheers
Martin