[Tagging] Deprecating mini_roundabout

Tony OSM tonyosm9 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 24 10:24:51 UTC 2019

I think deprecating mini_roundabout is incorrect.

Near where I live in Chorley England a 3 way junction was converted to a
mini-roundabout to equalise the flow of traffic. The space available
made a build roundabout impractical, and traffic lights would have been
overkill. It works. It is different on the ground that a built
roundabout (tin of poured paint versus brick and kerbing). The map is
appropriately different - mini-roundabout has its own symbol whereas a
roundabout is sized to reflect its actual size.

Understanding of mini_roundabouts (how to build complex junctions) and
their distinctiveness may be helped by viewing

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_Roundabout_(Swindon)

and its OSM representation

https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=18/51.56273/-1.76929&layers=N

The nearby Drakes roundabout is a large roundabout identified only by
its shape

Regards

TonyS999