[Tagging] How to describe footpath border?

Taskar Center uwtcat at uw.edu
Fri Oct 25 01:21:51 UTC 2019

Hi,

This is a corollary discussion to the one raised earlier this week about unprotected pedestrian lanes.
Even in protected pedestrian paths and sidewalks, it is useful to know what kind of borders the path has.

Is it buffered by grass streetside?
Is there a wall on one side?
Is there a kerb/curb streetside?

The discussion about pedestrian lanes focused both on access (who has right of way) and paint vs. keen barrier; i.e., specifically about whether the pedestrian path was/was not merely marked by paint markers. I believe we should suggest a tag that more generally would allow description of what protection/border demarcates the lane.

Assuming pedestrian paths as entities
(highway = footway
footway = sidewalk/footpath, etc)

is there current support for describing the path borders by a tag like:
footway:border:streetside = kerb/paint/grass/brick/wall/vegetation

Regards,
Anat

Sent from my mobile. Please excuse brevity and typos.