[Tagging] Tagging estuaries: estuary=yes or river=estuary?

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Tue Oct 29 09:25:42 UTC 2019

On 2019-10-29 02:43, Joseph Eisenberg wrote:

> There is also a proposal to map the mean low spring tide line, the
> lowest tide line along the coast:
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Tag:natural%3Dmean_low_water_springs
> - so the estuary could end at the point where this line meets the
> mouth of the river.
>
> This would usually be different than the political "baseline", which
> is often further out to sea, though sometimes it would match.

Assuming you mean the baseline for the purposes of territorial waters
etc, it is based on the low water line. There are rules which allow the
baseline to cut across inlets, bays, estuaries etc. So I would invert
your statement: the "political" baseline is the low water line, although
sometimes it is further out to sea.