[Tagging] place or border_type ?

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Tue Oct 29 09:46:23 UTC 2019

sent from a phone

> Il giorno 29 ott 2019, alle ore 10:16, Colin Smale <colin.smale at xs4all.nl> ha scritto:
>
> If X:de, X:it and X:fr appear to mean the same thing, it doesn't mean there aren't subtleties which would be lost for ever if the tagging was conflated.

whether or not they are lost depends on how you interpret them, the information in which legislation the entity is located is already there in OpenStreetMap, it mustn’t necessarily be added to the key.

Generally, de:place=city is not working on a tag level, because city is not a German term as suggested by the key. It should be DE:place if referring to Germany. As this tag doesn’t seem to be documented, it is also unclear in meaning and might be used for different things. IMHO if we went for country specific tags it would be better to have the actual term in the tag, like
DE:place=kreisfreie_Stadt
but then I would still prefer to have a key that refers to administrative entities, rather than socio-cultural ones, e.g. DE:admin_type=kreisfreie_Stadt
or admin_type:DE=...

Cheers Martin