[Tagging] Billboard or something else

Michael Patrick geodesy99 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 31 03:46:28 UTC 2019

> > what I meant was that we might want to distinguish between those that
> show information and those that show traffic signs to which you must obey.

There is no way to distinguish this, unless you have access to the
programming, and a fair number are automated to flex to traffic
conditions.

The various American standards show these as Dynamic Messaging Signs, with
other older content showing "character-matrix" Variable Messaging Signs,
mostly with the 'text only' as VMS and the more modern "full-matrix"
graphic technology as DMS. Other sources say the opposite.

In Europe, they are still mostly known as VMS, there is some discussion
here:
See "Dynamic message signs: differences between Europe and North America"
https://www.traffictechnologytoday.com/opinion/dynamic-message-signs-differences-between-europe-and-north-america.html

The international ISO standards for intelligent traffic systems say "NOTE:
A Variable Message Sign is also named dynamic message sign. Both terms are
considered as synonyms and can be used interchangeably."

On that basis, the Solomon's choice (
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judgment_of_Solomon ) would be to use to tag
them something along the lines of "DMS/VMS","DMS-VMS", because almost every
source (North American, British, European, etc.)  I found uses that sort of
contraction as the convention, including the manufacturers. For any
sub-tagging, the standards bust out further details according to the
display tech, fixed or mobile, size, etc.

The ones that change state according to a single variable or condition,
like only speed, or lane open/closed, chains required, road flooded, etc.
IMHO are more akin to the normal signs, in that even a normal parking sign
has 'variability' of states built into the message.

Ref:
https://www.nema.org/Standards/Pages/Hardware-Standards-for-Dynamic-Message-Signs-with-NTCIP-Requirements.aspx
https://blog.ansi.org/2017/02/dynamic-message-signs-dms-electronic-road/#gref

Michael Patrick