[Tagging] Merging tagging scheme on wiki pages of Hiking, route=hiking, route=foot and Walking routes

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 2 12:41:51 UTC 2019

On Mon, 2 Sep 2019 at 12:16, s8evq <s8evq at runbox.com> wrote:

> Okay, this project is done. I have made the transclusion on the four pages:
>
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Hiking
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Walking_Routes
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:route%3Dhiking
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:route%3Dfoot

Thanks for putting in the effort.

A minor issue is perhaps the layout of Tag:route=hiking and Tag:route=foot.
> Probably because of the transclusion, the table only start under the
> ValueDescription template. This results in quite some white space on the
> page.

I'm not sure what bit you mean because, at a quick glance, I don't see a
white space problem.
I'm probably missing it.  So take a look at
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Transclusion
at the bit about selective transclusion (which may not apply to what you're
doing, I'm not
sure) which says:

*This selective transclusion method often adds a line break above and/or
below the section transclusion, depending upon the source and target
document markup; to avoid this issue, wrap the selective transclusion
template in a {{trim <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Trim>}}
template.* In other words, use the following modifications to the
transclusion code listed immediately above:

   - Code for transcluding a section in the body of an article:
   {{trim|{{#section-h:PAGENAME|SECTIONNAME}}}}
   - Code for transcluding the lead of an article:
   {{trim|{{#section-h:PAGENAME}}}}

So whatever you're doing, try wrapping it in a trim and see if that fixes
it.  It probably won't,
and I expect somebody to tell me what an idiot I am for thinking it might.

However, what I did spot is that all four pages have route=hiking and
route=foot in the relation
table.  It's somewhat confusing to see an explanation of route=foot in a
page about hiking
and an explanation of route=hiking in a page about walking.  I haven't
tried it but I believe
this may be fixable.

I think the fix involves passing parameters to the template and
conditionals within
the template.  But I may be missing something and it's actually a lot
harder, a
lot different or both a lot harder and a lot different.  So you'll have to
read the
documentation and experiment (and eventually give up in frustration).

I think you can do something like this on the four pages:

{{Template:Tagging_scheme_for_hiking_and_foot_route_relations|walking=yes|hiking=no}}

and then in your template

{{ifeq: {{{walking|yes}}} | <table row about walking tag}}
{{ifeq: {{{hiking|yes}}} | <table row about hiking tag}}

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Help:Conditional_expressions for help
with conditionals.

Try it with ordinary text not in a table first.  I may have some of that
completely wrong, but
eventually you should get it working.  And then you have to get it working
in an actual table,
which is complicated.  It's complicated because the table row separator is
| and the
#ifeq separator is also | and things get confused.  How to deal with that
is discussed at
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Help:Conditional_tables  Good luck with
understanding that.

--